Letter to Esmee, one week after Rae left

Dear Esmee,

I never imagined a week away from you and Ende and everyone at Hogwarts would feel like such a long time. I guess I am on the other side of the world. Oh, yeah, that. 

So, I’m not allowed to say much. Most I can say is that dad freaked out and took us to Japan. Obviously those aren’t his words. All I know is that he was having issues at work similar to the brick walls I was hitting with the Owl Post and all the other crazy stuff going on there. Only, you know, adult versions. 

You’re the only one I can write. You are sworn to secrecy. No one can know we are talking, where I am, or any of it. Not even Ende. I hate this. But at least I have you.

You wouldn’t believe it, but there’s a guy here who I kind of like. His name is Satoshi. I feel super bad because of Ende and how I just disappeared. But Satoshi is so mature. And he has real-world experience. He doesn’t have me on a pedestal, either. And Satoshi is older. Only two years, but it’s nice. By the way, how is Ende doing?

I expect you to keep me apprised of the situation at Hogwarts as best you can. I hope you actually get this, with all the crazy about the owls and such. No one here knows about magic. I have to hide it, just like a child. Mom and Dad are teaching me what they can, but there’s only so much they can do. 

I’m going to tutor the school children here. There are only six of them and the teacher is old and senile. Nice woman, but her head isn’t on quite right. At least that will give me something to do. We’re so rural…there aren’t even a thousand people that live in this village. It’s so small that everyone basically knows each other. No highways come through. No train tracks. We are remote as remote can be. There is lots to explore, though. Rivers, lakes, mountains. Fields bigger than I can see. Old temples. I’m going to miss you more and more with every day. 

There are stories that the family house we’re staying at is haunted. Some even have an idea that it’s got some kind of ancient magic in it. It’s so hard not to laugh, or tell them the truth, or scare them by showing them some real magic. Mostly, it’s hard to keep it from Satoshi. We’ve spent almost every day together and he keeps noticing small things. I have to be really careful, lest he start suspecting something is up.

Help! You are my only salvation. My only pair of eyes into the real world. This feels so surreal. 

Yours, always.

яαє кαтαиα ღ

Comments